The NRP Sagres is a tall ship and school ship at the service of the Portuguese Navy since 1961. Because she is the third ship with this name, she is sometimes referred to as Sagres III. It it the most condecorated vessel of the Portuguese navy and the only one to display both Portuguese and foreign condecorations in the national banner.
Built in 1937, and previously named Guanabara, she was brought to Portugal by the Ambassador Teotónio Pereira, himself a man of the sea, with the intent to replace the old Sagres School Ship. She was then renamed Sagres and remains in service to this day. A few times a year, it’s open for visitation.